Skip to main content

Dancing In The Dark


 Do you ever get hit by this overwhelming desire to get up before dawn and go outside and dance under the stars? I have this desire that is growing….so one morning soon my pajama-clad figure will be out in the driveway in the dark, dancing under the canopy of God’s creation. (That’s the nice thing about living semi-isolated in the country – I wander outside a lot in my pajamas and I never worry about my neighbors. The raccoons simply don’t care.)

I love being outside under the stars before the sun has even begun its appearance. I’m not good at dancing. I’m not good at singing. But somehow I think God will take pleasure in me anyway, because He'll know why I am there. Psalm 19:1 “The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display His craftsmanship.” I think this proclamation of God’s glory is never more true than the moments before and after the dawn, and I want to join in the proclamation. The beauty of the canopy that we exist under can be breath-taking in those moments – the stars impossible to number; the moon reminding me of the honor of existing only to reflect. There is something about the dawn that screams the truth that “His mercies are new every morning.” I don’t know about you, but I need those mercies; I need my slate wiped clean and the newness of being clean in His eyes at the beginning of the day. Living in this world is hard. I NEED His mercy.

I wish I were a better dancer. I wish I were a better singer. I wish I were better at a whole lot of things that I can’t seem to do very well. But thankfully it doesn’t take a special talent to give thanks, to acknowledge the greatness and glory of God, to recognize and receive the mercy He hands this precocious child each morning. I really do love the pre-dawn hours – it's the time when ONLY God is there to see me, so I know that I am seen through Eyes that love me intimately, because of and in spite of who I am. 

There is a very good chance that I will end up dancing in the dark, and when I do, I will know that I am fully seen by Eyes that love me without reservation. And that will make me want to dance even more.


Comments

  1. Just this morning I was wondering if you were out in your yard in the wee hours of the morning!
    This answers my question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! A private waltz with Jesus helped me make it through a very dark and scary time. You are on to something here, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyful dancing!!! 💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Encounter

  Yesterday I had a very special encounter that I am still pondering. I always go to town early for groceries, and yesterday I didn’t buy a lot. (I think the trip was more about figuring out what we should STOP eating because of the price increases.) As I was getting ready to head home, I saw a homeless man beside the road. I always pray for direction, and quite often I stop to hear their story and find out how I can help. I love to hear people’s hearts, and it is interesting what is, in their mind, their greatest need. Once a young man, more than anything, just wanted clean dry socks, so I headed into Walmart. His excitement over a package of tube socks was humbling. One couple I encountered shared how they had lost their home in a disaster and all they had were their few possessions and their dog (their “child” and protector). They were heading across country to family, and their greatest fear was that authorities would take their dog away because they did not have the leash and co

Please Listen

  This morning I want to boldly say something that I really need to say. If someone you know has been sexually assaulted, molested, or abused, whether child, teen, or adult, PLEASE LISTEN to them. Sexual abuse in whatever form at whatever age is a dark experience that forever alters an individual. For those of you who ‘follow the science’, sexual abuse of a child or teen actually rewires the brain and denies the individual the opportunity to develop a healthy sense of self. It literally changes who they were becoming and forever alters their responses to and understandings of the world around them. Also, sexual abuse that is silenced and never brought into the light and dealt with can lead to emotional problems later in life (such at PTSD) and even physical problems because of stored, unresolved pain. So if someone you know or love has been sexually molested in whatever form, PLEASE LISTEN to them. Listen without judgment. Listen TO HEAR – don’t just listen a little so you c

Forgive

  I was lying in the dark this morning when I felt like I had another one of those “gentle teachings of the Spirit". I had been awake for a few hours (I am starting to feel the physical fatigue of just not resting enough), but this morning I wasn’t wrestling with God, I was just drifting in thought. I began to think about forgiveness, and in the course of my thoughts something that has been a kernel of thought for a while took full bloom. I hope I can explain it at least somewhat well. Scripture tells us that we are to forgive one another. Forgiveness isn’t a suggestion – it is a must. Ephesians 4:32 – ‘forgive as Christ forgave you’. Colossians 3:13 – the same – ‘as you have been forgiven’. I could list a myriad of scriptures on the ‘must’ of forgiving. I know from experience that when we forgive it graces us with a freedom from the bondage of sin. I have, with God’s help, forgiven some egregious offenses against me, and I have experienced what happens within me when I forgive